Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Manufacturers Index - Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Co.

Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Co.
Milwaukee, WI, U.S.A.
Manufacturer Class: Wood Working Machinery & Steam and Gas Engines

History
Last Modified: Jul 14 2017 10:23AM by Jeff_Joslin
If you have information to add to this entry, please contact the Site Historian.

Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Co. was created in 1901 with the merger of E. P. Allis & Co., Gates Iron Works, and Fraser & Chalmers Co. The name changed to Allis-Chalmers Co. in 1913. After a series of mergers and divestments, the remnants of Allis Chalmers are part of AGCO Corp.

In 1905 Allis-Chalmers created a Montreal-based Canadian subsidiary, Allis-Chalmers-Bullock, Ltd. The "Bullock" part of the name came from Bullock Electric Manufacturing Co., which had been acquired by Allis-Chalmers early that year.


From 1909-01-01 Canada Lumberman and Woodworker

Allis-Chalmers made sawmills and other sawmill machinery, plus they also made gas engines. See E. P. Allis & Co. for a more complete history.

Information Sources

  • The February 1902 issue of Hill, Clarke & Co.'s "Shop Talk" magazine has an article on a major expansion of Allis-Chalmers' plant.
  • Moody's Manual of Investments: American and Foreign, 1922, page 1324.

    ALLIS-CHALMERS MANUFACTURING COMPANY

    History:

    Incorporated March 15, 1913, in Delaware; successor to Allis-Chalmers Co. through purchase of all the properties formerly owned by that company. Company owns plants in the following cities: Milwaukee, Wis.; West Allis Wis., and Cincinnati, Ohio. Company’s business is to manufacture, and its principal products consist of air brakes, air compressors, cement machinery, steam, gas and oil engines of various types and) kinds, flour mill machinery, hoists, hydraulic machinery, power transmission machinery, pumping machinery, saw mill machinery, sugar machinery, timber treating and preserving machinery, steam turbines, hydraulic turbines, coal mining machinery, forgings, perforated metals, manganese bronze castings, farm tractors, tractor trucks and electrical apparatus of various kinds. he value of unfilled orders as of Dec. 31, 1921, including all customers’ contracts unbilled and in various stages of completion was $7,300,574. The total bookings for 1920 were $32,696,567; 1921 were $14,939,107.

    Management:
    Officers:Otto H. Falk, Pres.; Max W. Babb, Vice-Pres. H. Woodland, Sec. and Treas.; W. A. Thompson, Compt.; R. Dill, Asst. Sec. and Asst. Treas., Milwaukee; A. F. Rolf, Asst. Sec., New York.
    Directors: Otto H. Falk, Oliver C. Fuller, Fred Vogel, Jr., Chas. F. Pfister, C. E. Albright, Milwaukee; Max Pam. F. 0. Wetmore, W. T. Abbott, Chicago; Arthur W. Butler, Chas. W. Cox, Oscar L. Gubelman, R. G. Hutchins, J r., Arthur Coppell, J. H. McClement, Charles Hayden, J. D. Mortimer, New York; Jas. P. Winchester, Wilmington, Del.
    Annual Meeting: First Thursday after first Wednesday in May.
    General Office: Milwaukee, Wis.
    Corporate Office: Wilmington, Del.

  • American Gasoline Engines Since 1872 by C. H. Wendel, Volume #1, 1983 page 20-21
  • The Complete Guide to Stationary Gas Engines by Mark Meincke, 1996 page 92
  • Listed in C. H. Wendel's The Circular Saw Mill. Allis-Chalmers specialized in very large band sawmills, but they did make a heavy-duty circular sawmill, which Wendel describes as being offered "as late as 1908".
  • Hitchcock's Wood Workers Digest Directory 1955-56 shows an Allis-Chalmers horizontal band resaw from 1910.

Information Sources (Allis-Chalmers-Bullock, Ltd., of Montreal)

  • March 1905 Canadian Machinery & Manufacturing News.
    Mr. Thomas J. Mullin, superintendent of construction for Allis-Chalmers-Bullock, Limited, Montreal, who was married in Cincinnati on Wednesday, was tendered a farewell dinner at the Engineers' Club, Saturday evening, by the staff at the head office. The chair was occupied by Mr. Alfred Collyer, and among those present was Mr. George Berg, manager of the Boston office of the Allis-Chalmers Company. During the evening Mr. Mullin was presented with a handsome set of carvers, and was also the recipient of a number of congratulatory telegrams from different parts of the country.
  • May 1905 Canadian Machinery & Manufacturing News.
    The April, 1905 bulletin published by Allis-Chalmers-Bullock, Ltd., describing and illustrating the Bullock induction motor type AN, is of the usual size and style published by that firm.
  • May 1905 Canadian Machinery & Manufacturing News.
    The business of Allis-Chalmers-Bullock, Limited, Montreal, has increased so rapidly recently that it has been necessary to make a number of important additions to the staff. Mr. T. F. Kenny has been appointed mechanical engineer. He graduated from the department of mechanical engineering at McGill University in 1896, and then spent two years with the British Columbia Iron Works. For the past six years he was mechanical engineer for the Jenckes Machine Co. Mr. James F. Forbes has been appointed to take charge of the pumping engine department. He is a native of Philadelphia, and has had large experience with the water companies owned by the Delaware Company of New Jersey. Later he became superintendent at Dennison and Uhricksville, and had charge of the construction of a slow sand filter plant, and also of a mechanical gravity filter plant. Under his superintendency the pumping facilities were largely increased and rearranged to suit the filter plant. Since 1902 he has been traveling salesman with the National Meter Co., making Chicago his headquarters.
  • March 1905 Canadian Machinery & Manufacturing News.

    General Manager Resigns.—Machinery circles in Montreal have been interested in the announcement made public a few days ago that Mr. H. H. Henshaw has resigned from the directorate and general managership of Allis-Chalmers-Bullock, Limited, of that city.

    Mr. Henshaw spent his early childhood at St. Hyacinthe, Quebec, and afterwards, coming to Montreal, he entered the service of the Grand Trunk Railway. He gradually gained the recognition of Montreal business men, and was appointed secretary of the Royal Electric Co. When this company became merged with the Montreal Light, Heat & Power Co., Mr. Henshaw was chosen secretary-treasurer, a position which he occupied until last Spring. On June 1 last he was appointed director and general manager of Allis-Chalmers-Bullock, Limited, but has retired within the past few days.

  • Advertisement in the February 1906 Canadian Machinery, for the "Allis double cutting telescopic band mill" from Allis-Chalmers-Bullock Ltd.