Originally known as C. O. & A. D. Porter Co. (the name changed to C. O. Porter Machinery Co. in January 1909). Products are labeled "Porter", "C. O. Porter", or "The Porter".
Powermatic Machine Co. purchased Porter’s CNC router line in 1982 (which sold it to Accu-Router in 1992). C. O. Porter went out of business in 1983 due in part to product liability problems with a chop saw they made. Parts and service for C. O. Porter machines are no longer available.
See the entry for Copco, Inc., for more information on C. O. Porter's demise.
- A 1921 ad in The Wood-Worker shows "The Porter Type 'C' Jointer," available with 2-, 3-, or 4-knife heads.
- In 1955-56 Hitchcock's Wood Workers' Digest Directory.
- The Grand Rapids Public Library has a 1927-11-15 catalog of "The Porter" woodworking machinery.
- Wood Craft: A Journal of Woodworking, 1908, says, "CO & AD Porter, Grand Rapids, Mich., wish to announce that their business will be conducted from January 16. 1909, under the name of C. O. Porter Machinery Co."
- Address: 520 Plymouth NE, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49505
- A correspondent reports seeing a radial arm saw from this firm that appeared to similar to those from Walker-Turner Co.