Emerson Electric Manufacturing Co. was established in 1890 by John Wesley Emerson. In the beginning, they made electric motors and related products, such as switches. Over theyears they added other products to their line, including desk fans and ceiling fans. Starting in 1948 (and perhaps earlier) they made a few woodworking machines for Sears Roebuck. For example, the 1948 Craftsman catalog features the Model 100 tablesaw as "Emerson saws"; examples of this saw have model numbers beginning with 113, which corresponds to Emerson Electric Co. Most of the Craftsman woodworking machines at that time were made by King-Seeley Corp., however.
In 1962 Emerson bought all of King-Seeley Corp.'s design patents, tooling, and parts for Sears, Roebuck & Co. Craftsman and Dunlap lines. Emerson began production of machines in 1964.
In 1990, Leroy-Somer Canada Ltd., Granby, QC, was purchased by the U. S. Electrical Motors division of Emerson. The Granby plant was closed in 1992; production for the Canadian market moved to USEM's Markham plant, but then that plant was closed in 1993.
Emerson lost their Sears contract around 1998, but they began making the Ridgid line of stationary power tools for Home Depot. The Emerson Tool Co. (a division of Emerson Electric Co.) no longer makes woodworking machines (they make shop vacuums), and the Ridgid brand woodworking machines are made elsewhere.
Parts and Manuals
For information on availability of parts and manuals, see the Craftsman entry in the Manufacturers Index.