Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Manufacturers Index - Niles-Bement-Pond Company
History
Last Modified: Jun 26 2019 7:18AM by Mark Stansbury
If you have information to add to this entry, please contact the Site Historian.

The Niles-Bement-Pond Co. owns and operates seven plants and has more that 7,000 employees. These plants are well equipped for modern manufacturing and include engineering departments, drafting rooms, pattern shops & lofts, foundries and machine shops. This company is a consolidation of Bement, Miles & Co., Pond Machine Tool Co., Philadelphia Engine Works, Niles Tool Works, effected in 1899, and later the following companies were added, Pratt & Whitney Co., Pratt & Whitney Co. of Canada, John Bertram & Sons, and the Ridgway Machine Co.

In 1928, George A. Rentschler merged his Hooven, Owens, Rentschler Co. and Niles-Bement-Pond Co., to form the General Machinery Corp. In a series of post-World War II mergers, GMC was transformed into Lima-Hamilton Corp. and finally Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton Corp. before completing relocation to Eddystone, Pa., by January 1960.

Information Sources

  • Shipbuilding Cyclopedia by Simonds-Boardman Publishing Co. 1920