Niles Tool Works
Niles Tool Works was originally Niles & Co formed by brothers James and Johnathon Niles in 1845. They made steam engines and locomotives and later lathes. In 1869 the brothers sold the firm and the purchasers, James W.Gaff, Alexander Gordon, & George A. Gray, renamed and operated the company as Niles Tool Works. The company moved to Hamilton, OH in 1873 and specialized in machines for the railroad industry, producing some of the largest machine tools at the time. They incorporated in 1873 and Gray left in 1877 to form the G. A. Gray Co. In 1899 it merged into the massive Niles-Bement-Pond Co., a firm that was not equaled in size.
Manufactured Steam Engines (ca 1851)
- American Lathe Builders: 1810-1910 by Kenneth L. Cope, 2001 page 110
- American Steam Engine Builders: 1800-1900 by Kenneth L. Cope, 2006 page 168
- Steam Power on the American Farm by Reynold M. Wik, 1953 page 251