Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Manufacturers Index - Canada Machinery Corp., Ltd. (CMC)

Canada Machinery Corp., Ltd. (CMC)
Galt (now Cambridge), ON, Canada
Manufacturer Class: Wood Working Machinery & Metal Working Machinery

History
Last Modified: Jan 4 2013 9:02AM by Jeff_Joslin
If you have information to add to this entry, please contact the Site Historian.

This company was created by the 1910 merger of MacGregor, Gourlay Co. Ltd.; John Ballantine & Co.; Hespeler Machinery Co.; the woodworking machine division of Goldie & McCulloch Co., Ltd.; and Sussex Machinery Co.. For a detailed early history, see the entry for MacGregor, Gourlay Co. Ltd.

In 1912, CMC acquired London Machine Tool Co. for their line of heavy-duty metal-working machinery.


Ad from "Waterloo Outlook 1914"

CMC made both machine tools and woodworking machinery. Their products spanned general-purpose and specialized machinery, and light and heavy duty. Some of their most successful products were those for large-scale work, as needed for railcars, structural timbers, etc. By 1914 they were the largest woodworking machinery manufacturer in Canada; at that time they had over 600 employees. They had plants in Galt, Preston, Hespeler, and Hamilton - all in Ontario. (Galt, Preston, and Hespeler were amalgamated in 1973 to form the city of Cambridge.) The Galt plant made the light woodworking machinery, and the Hamilton plant made heavy machinery for railroads. The Preston and Hespeler plants made "general woodworking machinery."

For the years between 1955 and 1964 CMC was owned by Hugo Stinnes Industrie und Handel GmbH. In 1964 it was purchased by Canadian interests, and in 1975, CMC was absorbed by Ingersoll Rand.

Support for CMC Products

Until recently, some support for CMC machines was still available, but has ceased because of a fire.

Do you have more information?

I am especially interested in woodworking machinery manufacturers from Ontario, and particularly Cambridge, so if you have any information on relevant woodworking machinery companies and products, I strongly urge you to contact the Historian.

Information Sources

  • An ad in a 1957 issue of "Canadian Woodworker" shows their 24" "pony planer."
  • The University of Western Ontario Business Library has a 1967 article available online. Here is the article's version of events from the founding of CMC:
    The present Canada Machinery Corporation was formed, by Dominion Charter in 1910, to consolidate MacGregor, Gourlay operations with those of four other companies - John Ballantine Co. of Preston; Hespeler Machinery Co., Hespeler; Sussex Machinery Co., Sussex, N.B.; and the wood-working machinery department of Goldie & McCulloch Co. of Galt.

    Two years later, the London Machine Tool Co. in Hamilton was acquired to expand the machine tool section of the business. At this point, CMC was the largest manufacturer of wood and iron working machinery and tools in Canada. In 1917, the Hamilton plant was,dismantled and re-erected in Galt in a move to centralize manufacturing facilities.

    The steam engines of the railroads in the 20's required an incredible amount of maintenance. The trip from Toronto to Montreal required several different engines- and maintenance shops. CMC was kept busy producing machinery and equipment to keep the railroads running across the country and it was at this time that the company started making rail anchors - a business that has continued to this day.

    The 20's also saw the company manufacturing production machinery for the automobile industry. CMC made such exotic pieces of equipment as wheel shrinkers and fender ribbon machines for Henry Ford's wonderful Model T-and when wire wheels became popular, CMC made machines for welding the spokes to the rims.

    In common with other industrial concerns, the CMC was hard hit by the Depression, but was able to stay in business and maintain its skilled workers-though in drastically reduced circumstances. World War II saw the CMC plant working to capacity, producing machine tools for factories in Canada, the U.S., India, New Zealand, Australia and Russia.

    In the post-war years, the company stabilized its position in the industry and concentrated its efforts in the design and development of special purpose machine tools and production machinery.

    In 1955 the company was acquired by Hugo Stinnes Industrie und Handel GmbH of West Germany-a group with diversified holdings in many industries in North and South America as well as in Europe.

    1956 saw the beginning of a massive long-term modernization and expansion program. A 30,000 sq. ft. steel fabrication plant on 29 acres of land in Kitchener was leased in 1960 and purchased in 1964—at the same time as the West German group disposed of its holdings and the company came under Canadian control once again.
  • The Manual of Statistics: Stock Exchange Hand-Book, Volume 34, 1912, edited by Charles M. Goodsell and Henry E. Wallace, has this entry:

    CANADA MACHINERY CORPORATION, LIMITED

    A corporation formed under the laws of Canada, July 5, 1910. The company acquired the following concerns manufacturing woodworking machinery and machine tools: MacGregor, Gourlay & Co., Limited, Galt, Ont. John Ballantine & Co., Limited, Preston, Ont. Hespeler Machinery Co., Limited, Hespeler, Out., together with the woodworking machinery department of Goldie & McCulloch Co., Limited, Galt, Ont., and the Sussex Manufacturing Co., Limited, Sussex, N. B.

    Stock...Par $100..... Authorized {com., $1,500,000 / pref., $1,500,000} Issued {com., $653,400 / pref., 908,800} $1,562,200

    The preferred stock is 7 per cent, cumulative. Dividends on the preferred stock are paid semi-annually 3 1/2 per cent, each in March and September. Transfer Agent, Guardian Trust Co., Limited, Toronto.

    Funded Debt 1st mort., 6 per cent., due August, 1940, Feb. and Aug...... $400,000

    The authorized issue of the 1st mortgage is $1,000,000. The bonds are redeemable at 110 on August 1, 1915, or any subsequent interest day. Trustee, Montreal Trust Co., Montreal. Agents for the payment of interest, Royal Bank of Canada, Montreal and Toronto.

    President, George D. Forbes, Hespeler, Ont. Vice-President, R. O. McCulloch, Galt. Vice President, R. MacGregor, Sr., Galt. Vice-President, S. H. White, Sussex, N. B. Secretary and Treasurer, J. F. MacGregor, Galt.

    Directors—George D. Forbes, Galt. Alexander G. Gourlay, Galt. Garnet P. Grant, Toronto. R. L. Innes, Hamilton, Ont. R. MacGregor, Sr., Galt. R. O. McCulloch, Galt. Thomas H. Watson, Toronto. S. H. White, Sussex, N. B.

    Main office, Galt, Ont. Annual meeting, first Wednesday in September, at Galt.