Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Machinery Photo Index
Manufactured/Badged by:
Delta Manufacturing Co.
Milwaukee, WI; Jackson, TN

Machine Specifications
Machine Class: Wood Working Machinery
Machine Type: Drill Press
Machine Size: 14"
Submitted By: Scott Kasten
Machine Specifications
Description/Model: DP-220 Drill Press
Date of Manufacturer: 1942
Serial Number: 21-5126
Last Updated 4/12/2012 12:29:52 PM

Comments:
More Pictures here: http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113816

My first full restoration job is finally complete! Well, it was the first one I started, not the first one I finished. It was quite a long process as I would set aside to work on other things and come back to it again. That last 10% I think is the hardest. I got it from Dan G (a local member) who has acquired it locally as well. The history is thought to possibly have come out of the Anderson Window plant, in Stillwater, MN but there is no way to confirm that. I have picked up quite a few accessories along the way (foot feed, multi speed attachment, rear belt cover). It came with the production table, in pristine condition, since it had a 3/8 steel plate bolted to it, likely for most of it's life. Not pictured are most of the accessory spindles (mortise, grinding cup, shaper, router, & MT2) and a complete mortise attachment with all the bits and bushings. I also added a reproduction switch rod from hammerscale since I took these pictures. (Now I just need a piot wheel) The motor is a RI that I picked up from a local machinery dealer, and it was a total basket case, but had a very nice badge. It had badly cracked wires, no junction box or switch and was filthy dirty. With the help of folks here on the motor and several other problems that cropped up, it's running beautifully now and it should be a good worker for another 70 years.

Everything was sandblasted, primed and painted (spray gun) with SW Industrial Enamel using a Delta Grey color code I pulled from the mothership wiki. Actually I hand painted the rear pulley cover, which I'm not real happy with, but whatever, it's done. All the unpainted hardware was de-rusted in EvapoRust and cleaned on a wire wheel. I didn't really polish anything except the brass nuts on the motor and the light. The column cleanup, required me to stop this resptration and finish my Delta 1460 lathe restoration so I could spin the column, which worked nicely. Of course, all the bearings were replaced: spindle, pulley, & motor.

The jury is still out if I will like the usability of the foot feed. I think it is uber cool to look at, just not sure if it's all that functional for a daily driver.

Again, thanks to all the contributions from members on this restoration. I might not have even attempted it without knowing I had this resource.

Photo 1:

Comments: Fully Restored
Source:
Direct Link
IMG Code

Photo 2:

Comments: Before
Source:
Direct Link
IMG Code

Photo 3:

Comments: Closeup
Source:
Direct Link
IMG Code

Photo 4:

Comments: RI Motor
Source:
Direct Link
IMG Code

Photo 5:

Comments: Another Motor Shot
Source:
Direct Link
IMG Code

Photo 6:

Comments: Multi-Speed Attachment
Source:
Direct Link
IMG Code