Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Machinery Photo Index
Manufactured/Badged by:
Delta Manufacturing Co.
Milwaukee, WI; Jackson, TN

Machine Specifications
Machine Class: Wood Working Machinery & Metal Working Machinery
Machine Type: Drill Press
Machine Size: 17"
Submitted By: Todd Seldomridge
Machine Specifications
Description/Model: 1370
Date of Manufacturer: 1940??
Serial Number: 3-6096
Last Updated 6/12/2011 3:46:44 PM

Comments:
Picked this up from a CL add a couple of months ago. I happened to be the first to contact the PO. He agree to wait until the weekend to show it. After a little negotiation, we reached an agreement. The PO said this was given to him several years ago by the place he worked (Roper near Commerce, GA). They were upgrading older equipment with new and offered it to their employees. They manufacture pumps.

When I got the DP, it was covered in a couple layers of green flaking paint. It had several brass tags that appeared to be inventory tags on the belt cover, main head and motor. The motor was an original Delta 1/2 HP Repulsion Induction (Model 9000). It had 4559 stamped on the housing under the badge with a small K or H off to the side. The PO indicated it had been wired for 220. I was not able to test it when I picked it up. Guess I trusted the PO. He said it ran fine the last time he used it which had been a couple of years. The table is no where near perfect, but still functional. I plan on building a wooden table for woodworking anyways. The hook was broken off of the rack. The table lifting gears, etc, where missing. The left had side of the rear belt cover is broken on the bottom. Someone in the past had used sheet metal screws and some plastic straps to secure it. I found out after I got home that the quill had a few striped teeth. The nuts on the depth stop have four holes drilled in each of them. The motor pulley only has four groves, not five. (2, 3, 4 and 5" dia) One plastic knob on the quill handle was missing along with the knob on the table locking handle.

After a lot of striping and cleaning, I painted it by brush with Sherwin Williams enamel paint using the info found on the Wiki. With some help from members on this web site, I figured out how to wire it for 110. (I had two yellow and two red wires.) A good cleaning and some new bearings and it is running fine. I built a mobile base out of 3/4" Plywood and 2x4's. I replaced the quill and added the table lifting gears. I put one of the brass tags with the Roper name back on the DP head. It came with a Jacobs Super Chuck No. 14 (stamped 14 and not 14N). I was able to disassemble, clean out rust and old grease and reassemble. Works fine now. Overall, I am very satisfied with how it turned out.

Photo 1:

Comments: Front right side
Source: My camera
Direct Link
IMG Code

Photo 2:

Comments: Front right closer view
Source: My camera
Direct Link
IMG Code

Photo 3:

Comments: front left - note missing belt cover and rack hook broken off
Source: My camera
Direct Link
IMG Code

Photo 4:

Comments: front view - note the notch in the name badge for easier oiling
Source: My camera
Direct Link
IMG Code

Photo 5:

Comments: motor with original badge
Source: My camera
Direct Link
IMG Code

Photo 6:

Comments: as purchased
Source: My friend's camera phone
Direct Link
IMG Code