Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Manufacturers Index - Jones Superior Machine Co.
History
Last Modified: Jan 24 2018 7:49PM by Jeff_Joslin
If you have information to add to this entry, please contact the Site Historian.

This company succeeded Superior Machine Works in 1913, following that company's acquisition by W. A. Jones Foundry & Machine Co. The name change is documented in a pair of ads that appeared in the January and February 1913 issue of Popular Mechanics.


Advertisement from February 1928 American Builder

Jones Superior was in business until at least 1934 and probably for longer. They made a variety of woodworking machinery, plus meat-cutting saws, and even a saw for cutting blocks of solid carbon dioxide.

Jasper Parts supplies parts for Jones Superior band saws, including blade guide, tires and wheel assemblies. They bought out Wright Bandsaw and Black Diamond Guides.

Jasper Parts
19740 NE Sunnycrest Rd.
Newberg, OR 97132

503-554-5415

Information Sources

  • This is one of the few older companies that trademarked something, in this case the "Superior" mark; according to their application, their mark was first used in 1890, and they made "saw tables, saw machines, combination saw and dado machines, wood-frame saws, swing cut-off saws, single and multiple spindle boring machines, rip and crosscut box saws, ... lock-corner cutting machines, wood-turning lathes..." The trademark was registered in 1922, and expired at some point.
  • A 1934 patent (for a meat-cutting bandsaw) provides the latest confirmed data point so far for the company's years of operation.
  • Ads in April and May 1913 and March 1915 issues of Popular Mechanics.