J. C. Hoadley was founded in 1857 by John C. Hoadley. Who was the superintendent of Lawrence Machine Shop. The name was changed to J. C. Hoadley & Co. in 1862 and incorporated as the J. C. Hoadley Co. in 1873. They closed on 1878.
- American Steam Engine Builders: 1800-1900 by Kenneth L. Cope, 2006 page 120
- Steam Power on the American Farm by Reynold M. Wik, 1953 page 252
- The Steam Tractor Encyclopedia by John F. Spalding & Robert T. Rhode, 2011 pages 54-55