In 1874 Henry Bickford, who had been employed by J. A. Fay & Egan Company, started to build upright drills in a shop at Front and Pike streets. In 1879 he started to build a 24-inch drill to sell for $100, as against the regular price, $300. It was a cheap competition machine, but from it developed the modern products of the Cincinnati-Bickford Tool Company. In 1887 the Bickford Tool Companv was organized by Charles Hoefinghoff, President of the Hoeflnghoft & Lane Foundry; A. H. Kerkhoff. Bickford's foreman, and George K. Kerkhcff. formerly with the Blymyer Iron Works, Cincinnati.
On February 1. 1893, the company reorganized as the Bickford Drill & Tool Company
, with Charles Hoefinger. President; August H. Tuechter, general manager, and Anton Mill, superintendent. In 1894 Lewis G. Keck was admitted to the partnership and made Secretary-Treasurer. Mr. Mill retired from the company February 9. 1897, and May 17, 1897. Henry M. Morris became its superintendent and engineer.
Mr. Morris served his apprenticeship with the Bement, Miles Company, Philadelphia, Pa., and worked as a draughtsman for the Phoenix Iron Company, Phoenixville, Pa.; the John A. Roebling Son's Company, Trenton, N. J.; Dr. Coleman Sellers, Philadel phia; Ferracute Machine Company, Bridgetown, N. J.; Brown & Sharpe Company, Providence, R. I.; was designer for Pond Machine Tool Company, Plainfleld, N. J. inspector for Garvin Machine Company, New York; superintendent of Riehlé Bros. Testing Machine Co., Philadelphia, and general manager of Campbell & Zell Company, Baltimore, Md.
When Charles Hoeflnghoff died, In November, 1898, Mr. Tuechter entered partnership with Sherman C. Schauer, who for eight years had been superintendent of the Hamilton Machine Tool Company, Hamilton, O. and under the name of the Cincinnati Machine Tool Company specialized on upright drills.
Subsequently the Bickford Drill and Tool Company, with Harry C. Hoefinghoff as President, specialized on the manufacture of radial drills. When H. C. Hoeflnghoff died, March 2, 1907, Fred A. Geier, President of the Cincinnati Milling Machine Company, was named executor of the will. Mr. Geler was made President of the Bickford Company, which he supervised until February 11, 1909, when it was consolidated with the Cincinnati Machine Tool Company, as the Cincinnati Bickford Tool Company, with A. H. Tuechter, President; S. C. Schauer, Vice President and general manager; George P. Gradolf, Secretary and Treasurer, and H. M. Norris, mechanical engineer. The new plant at Oakley, Ohio, into which the company moved January 1911, is the largest and most modern factory in the world, devoted exclusively to the manufacture of drilling machinery.
- The Cincinnatian, V 4, 14 May 1917 page 7
By Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce and Merchants' Exchange
- American Machinist, Volume 49, 31 Oct 1918, page 818