From 1887, and perhaps earlier, W. P. Davis operated out of North Bloomfield, NY. William P. and Charles F. Davis reorganized the firm in 1894 as the W. P.Davis Machine Co. of Rochester, NY. William died in 1904 and Charles left in 1914, the company being again reorganized in 1915 as the Davis Machine Co., and was located at 126-130 Mill Street, Rochester, NY.
W. P. Davis made metalworking machinery, primarily lathes and drill presses.
Davis Keyseaters are still being made by Hansford Parts & Products Co. of Macedon, NY.
- Article in the September 1881 issue of Manufacturer & Builder, described W. P. Davis's drill press.
- Brief writeup in the July 1882 issue of Manufacturer & Builder:
"W. P. Davis, of North Bloomfield, N. Y., ran his works day and night, from January 1st to April 1st, when he increased his facilities until he thought he could keep up with orders. Now he is again obliged to start up on overtime, and states that, judging from letters received from users of his machines, he will continue to have a large sale for some time to come."
- Brief mention in the March 1885 issue of Manufacturer & Builder, in an article about the New Orleans Exhibition. Davis was exhibiting a pair of key-seating machines.
- The American Artifacts web site has a web page that quotes a 7 September 1883 letter from Davis. The letter is signed, "W. P. DAVIS, Proprietor, North Bloomfield Foundry and Machine Tool Works."
- A posting on a genealogy mailing list says that William P. Davis was the proprietor of W. P. Davis Machine Co., and his brother, Charles F. Davis, also worked for the company.
American Lathe Builders: 1810-1910 by Kenneth L. Cope, 2001 page 38