Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Manufacturers Index - Cincinnati Planer Co.
History
Last Modified: Mar 14 2011 9:01PM by Jeff_Joslin
If you have information to add to this entry, please contact the Site Historian.
Cincinnati Planer Co. - Shop Floor View

The Cincinnati Planer Co.was founded in 1899 by Bertram B. Quillen, Reuben A. Holden and William H. Burtner. In 1904 Burtner was bought out by C. H. M. Atkins and he became president of the company.

The Cincinnati Planer Co. is now occupying a new plant at Oakley, OH., a suburb six miles from Cincinnati. It has a nine-acre tract on which it has erected a one-story brick and steel structure 150 ft. wide by 400 ft. long and a separate office building of two stories. This building immediately adjoins the front end of the shop, separated by a brick wall with two entrances, which are protected by automatic fireproof doors. The shop is equipped with two electric cranes, one of 15-ton and another of 20-ton capacity. These large cranes are used in handling the heavy planer beds and tables and in serving the big tools located in various departments along the main aisle. In the west bay is a 5-ton Pawling & Harnischfeger electric crane and in the east bay a 4-ton Shepherd crane, both controlled from the floor. These crapes are used in handling the rails and other smaller parts of the machines. In the front end of the shop is a depressed track, of sufficient length to admit two 40-ft. cars and so located that both cars can be loaded or unloaded at the same time by use of the large cranes in the main aisle and the 5-ton crane in the west bay, this railroad track being used mainly for shipping. On the west side of the building there is another spur used for receiving castings and raw material in carload lots. This spur runs through the casting yard located in the rear of the building. Cars are unloaded with an electric crane, which travels over the cars and the full width of the building. Each department is driven by an individual motor, the line shafts being put up in short sections, making each department independent of the others. All the larger tools are driven by motors mounted direct on the machines. Hyatt roller bearings are used on all line shafting throughout, reducing the friction to a minimum. The motors are mounted on concrete piers about 3 ft. high, where all cars and adjustments can be made readily from the same floor. All the heavy tools are mounted on solid concrete foundations, the lighter machines setting direct on the floor. In the planer department, located in the northwest end of the building, ;ill the heavier planers are mounted on improved leveling wedges, which arc embodied in concrete, making these tools solid on their foundations. These wedges also enable accurate adjustments when releveling after inspection every few months, therefore insuring the work coming from these machines, such as beds, tables, housings and rails, being planed perfectly, requiring little or no scraping. The greatest care is exercised in the planing operations, especially on such work as is likely to spring when released from the clamps. This is especially noticeable in the planing of tables. To secure the best results, the casting is first completely roughed, then drilled and allowed to lay for a few Jays, giving it time to resume its natural form, after which it is returned to the planer for finishing. On small work like gibs, the same practice prevails. The lathe department, located in the northeast end of the building, receives its raw material and castings by trucks over an industrial track from the casting yard. All the various boring lathes and mills are arranged at this entrance. The castings, being first bored and rough turned, pass down to the different lathes for finishing, then to the grinders, and into the milling department, but never crisscross anywhere throughout the shop. The heavier machines in this department are equipped with single I-beam cranes. Shafts are made of high carbon steel and are first turned, key-wayed and then ground. All spur, bevel and mitre gears are cut on automatic machines of the latest type. All driving gears are cut by a system of special cutters for each gear, thereby obtaining perfect rolling spur gears. All bevel and mitre gears are matched and tested on a special testing machine. The table rack, which is cut with special cutters or tools on the planer, is also tested and matched in this department, using a large spur gear with corresponding pitch. All boring and drilling is clone by jigs in the drill press department, which is centrally located in the shops. A novel feature of this department is the system of driving all tools from a single line shaft, no countershafts being used. Beds and housings are also drilled by jigs, the boring bars being driven by knuckle joints, doing away with all side thrust, giving a perfect circumference to all work done in this manner. The distributing and stock room is located in the center of the shop, where all jigs, tools, screws, drawings and supplies are to be had, thus making it accessible from all departments. The main erecting floor occupies a large portion of the main aisle, where it can also be served by the large cranes. The large pit for erecting the big boring mill is also in this department. There are three test shafts in this department, each driven by individual motor of reigning capacity. The final tests of every planer are made under these shafts, where the feeds are tried and the machine finished by taking a cut off the table on its own bed and the tee slots finished to standard plugs. All finished work is brought here to be matched and fitted. The housings, rails, etc., are all scraped to surface plates, using straight edges and indicators in squaring them with one another. A word about the principal features of the finished machines: Take, for example, a 30-in. standard planer. It will be noticed that the bed is bored out -to a jig,-it is especially strengthened where the gearing and housings are mounted, and is braced at short intervals with heavy box girths. The ways are hand scraped and are fitted with a series of automatic oilers, which keep the tees thoroughly lubricated. The shaft bearings or boxes are ground and fitted solidly into the bored holes in the bed, and have oil grooves that furnish a sufficient supply of oil. The driving shafts are made from high carbon crucible steel, and after being turned and keywayed, they are ground to insure the greatest possible accuracy. The pulley shaft, which is the only high speed shaft in a planer, is made ring oiling. All gears are cut from solid stock, semi-steel being used in the large gears and steel forgings for the pinion. They are placed on the inside of the bed, obviating all danger to the workman and protecting the gears from dirt and chips. The table is of considerable depth, and is braced and thoroughly ribbed underneath, insuring unusual stiffness. It is fitted with a dirt-proof feature, which prevents chips from falling into the tees. Holes are drilled and reamed from the solid and T-slots planed its entire length. The housings are carried down to the bottom of the bed, and are fastened to it by heavy bolts and dowel pins. They are braced by a box shaped arch at the top, giving great rigidity and resistance to jar from heavy cuts when tools are at the highest point. The face of the housings are scraped to surface plates and great care is taken in fastening them to the bed, so that they are parallel with each other and are square with the bed. The housings are also held in place by tongue and groove, preventing spring under heavy work. The cross rails are accurately scraped to straight edges and surface plates. They have a generous bearing on the housings, which are scraped on the front and back. The rail is made of sufficient length to allow either head to have full traverse across the table. The heads are carefully scraped to the rail and are graduated for swiveling up to 90 degrees. They are of a new shape, the end of tool block and slide being made round to avoid projecting corners on angular work. The heads have adjustable taper gibs on the down slide and the front and rear of saddle. The slides are hung on ball bearings, allowing them to work easy, and both heads can be raised at the same time with very little effort. They are right and left and are provided with automatic feeds in all directions. The tool block swings on a tool steel taper pin and carries four heavy steel bolts for clamping the tools. A power elevating device is furnished on all machines with double head rails, being operated by friction rings, and it is noiseless and is subject to very little wear. Being in the center of the arch, it exerts equal tension on the elevating shaft. A bearing next to the large raising gear does away with any side thrust that may occur. The gears are so arranged that a slow speed is used for raising and a fast for lowering. The device is engaged by a long handle at the side and when idle is locked by a binding screw. The pulley and shaft are the only revolving parts when not in use.

Information Sources

  • American Planer, Shaper and Slotter Builders: 1830-1910 by Kenneth L. Cope, 2002 page 37
  • Railway Master Mechanic by the Railway List Co. 1910 pages 456-459