Fishkill Landing Machine Co. was incorporated February 17, 1853, and its charter was renewed at the expiration of 20 years. The original capital was $25,000; it was increased to $35,000 in the late 1800's. The company was composed of some seventeen individuals, mostly residents of Matteawan, N.Y. who had been employed by the Matteawan Co. as iron workers. Robert J. Halgin was President; W.F. Sage was Vice-President. The company manufactured Corliss steam engines, and other boilers and machinery on Main Street, neat the H.R. Railroad, in Fishkill, N.Y.
The company first leased and subsequently purchased the building which had been used by the Matteawan Co. for the storage of cotton. They fitted up and occupied this place temporarily until another brick structure, one hundred and twenty feet by forty feet, two stories, was erected and ready for us in 1853. The comapny engaged in the manufacture of stationary engines, marine engines, and steam traction engines, besides doing a general machine business, in Fishkill-on-the-Husdon, N.Y.
A "Mills" steam traction engine was built in 1879 by the Fishkill Landing Machine Co. They had patents covering all the essential elements of this engine, and the "Mills" threshers and locomotive steam traction engines.
- Norbeck, Jack, Encyclopedia of American Steam Traction Engines, Crestline Publishing Inc, Glen Ellyn, Illinois, Pg. 115
American Steam Engine Builders: 1800-1900 by Kenneth L. Cope, 2006 page 88
- Steam Power on the American Farm by Reynold M. Wik, 1953 page 252