Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Manufacturers Index - Fairbanks, Morse & Co.

Fairbanks, Morse & Co.
Beloit, WI, Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
Company Website: http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/
Manufacturer Class: Wood Working Machinery & Steam and Gas Engines

History
Last Modified: Aug 27 2014 5:01PM by joelr4
If you have information to add to this entry, please contact the Site Historian.

Fairbanks, Morse began in 1885 when they acquired the Eclipse Windmill Co. and the Williams Engine Works. In 1893, they were the first company to successfully market a gasoline engine in the United States. While the company is best known for their line of stationary gas engines, over the years, the company has manufactured a wide array of products including radios, washing machines, power mowers, water heaters, water softeners, air conditioners, storage batteries, diesel locomotives, diesel engines, generators, AC electric motors, farm equipment, magnetos, scales, stokers, railroad motor cars and standpipes.

FAIRBANKS, MORSE & COMPANY

History:

      Incorporated under the laws of Illinois, June, 1891, as successor to partnership of the same name. Sells scale products of E. & T. Fairbanks & Co. for which it has exclusive sale in the Western States; also manufactures oil engines, steam pumps and windmills, and deals in electrical equipment and railroad supplies.

      In January, 1916, Fairbanks, Morse & Co. made an offer to E. & T. Fairbanks & Co. to purchase that company’s outstanding stock by the exchange of three shares of its 6% cumulative preferred stock for each share of outstanding stock (par $500) of E. & T. Fairbanks & Co. This offer was accepted and E. & T. Fairbanks & Co. is now all owned by Fairbanks, Morse & Co.

      On Dec. 1, 1918, Fairbanks, Morse & Co. acquired the plants and business of the Sheffield Car Co. at Three Rivers, Mich., manufacturers of railway motor cars, and of Fairbanks-Morse Electrical Mfg. Co. of Indianapolis, Ind., manufacturers of electrical equipment. The entire capital stock of both these companies was acquired by exchange for shares of Fairbanks, Morse & Co. on the basis of comparative book values.

      In Nov., 1920, company acquired the entire business and assets, etc., of the Luster Machine Shop & Ry. Equip. Co., Philadelphia, Pa. A new branch has been opened there and company will sell complete lines of motors, engines, pumps, etc.

Management:

OFFICERS: C. H. Morse, Pres.; W. E. Miller, Vice-Pres. and Treas., Chicago, Ill.; H. J. Fuller, Vice-Pres., New York; R. H. Morse, Vice-Pres.; C. W. Pank, Vice-Pres.; W. S. Hovey, Vice-Pres.; F. M. Boughey, Sec., Chicago, Ill.

DIRECTORS: C. H. Morse, R. H. Morse, W. E. Miller, F. M. Boughey, Chicago, 111.; H. J. Fuller, J. J. Storrow, Boston.

ANNUAL MEETING: March 31, at Chicago.

HEAD OFFICE: Chicago; branches in principal cities of the West and in New York, London and Buenos Aires.

      Late 1950s address: Fairbanks-Morse Bldg. Chicago 5 IL.

      The company is still in business today manufacturing diesel and dual-fuel engines for industry.

Information Sources:

  • The company web site has a History section.
  • FM Axial Air Gap motor service manual.
  • American Gasoline Engines Since 1872 by C. H. Wendel, Volume #1, 1983 pages 158-167
  • The Complete Guide to Stationary Gas Engines by Mark Meincke, 1996 pages 116-117
  • Moody's Manual of Investments: American and Foreign, 1922, page 1534