In the early 'nineties, C. F. and G. A. Axelson started in business in Los Angeles in a small machine-shop under the name of the Acme Iron Works, which name was later changed to the Axelson Machine Co. From a general jobbing business the company gradually developed a manufacturing business in oil-well tools, particularly pumping equipment. In 1910 the company commenced the construction of heavy-duty lathes, from designs prepared by C. F. Axelson, several of these machines being placed in its own shops. These proved so satisfactory that others were sold to outside concerns in response to requests. Finally, in 1914, after service-tests had demonstrated conclusively the soundness of the design, the lathes were put on the general market, the company continuing its production of oilfield equipment.
During this time the floor-space required by the company has increased from 2700 sq. ft. in the first shop to more than 100,000 sq. ft. at the present time. This has been accomplished by moving the plant several times, the most recent move being to a five-acre tract at the corner of Boyle and Randolph avenues, Huntington Park, about five miles from the main business district of Los Angeles.
In the foundry the company makes all its iron and semi-steel castings, both for its lathes and for its various lines of oilfield equipment, and also does a general jobbing business, principally for manufacturing concerns that have no foundry of their own, and whose orders are of sufficient volume to justify the Axelson company in rigging for quantity production. The foundry building, like the other structures at the plant, which include machine-shop, assembling department, forge-shop, patternshop, pattern-storage building, warehouse, and office, is of brick and steel construction with ample window-space to ensure the maximum amount of daylight.
Sometime between 1928 and 1936 the name was changed to the Axelson Manufacturing Co. In 1954, Axelson was purchased by USI/Clearing Division.
- Metal Trades, Volume 12, Feb 1921, page 62