Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Manufacturers Index - Sheldon Machine Co., Inc.
History
Last Modified: Sep 14 2019 8:23PM by Mark Stansbury
If you have information to add to this entry, please contact the Site Historian.

The company manufactured of metal working lathes and accessories.

In 1910, the company announced, "The Carlson Machine Co., 619 West Washington Boulevard, Chicago, has increased its capitalization from $5000 to $15,000 and changed its name to the Sheldon Machine Co."

In 1944 Sheldon Machine Co., Inc. acquired the Vernon Line of machine tools.

A 1949 Popular Science publication listed their address as 4266 N. Knox Ave., Chicago 41, Illinois.

In 1953, "Cincinnati Metalcrafts, Inc., Cincinnati, Ohio, announces the sale of its Sebastian Lathe Division [Sebastian Lathe Co.] to the Sheldon Machine Co., Chicago, Ill. All manufacturing operations are being moved to the Chicago plant of the Sheldon Machine Co." These were sold as "Sheldon-built Sebastian lathes."

According to Tony Griffith's Lathe web site, some Sheldon lathes were manufactured for sale by Lempco Co. of Bedford, OH.

Information Sources

  • Industry Week, V63, 14 Nov 1918, pg. 1148
  • Iron Age, Vol. 154, 1944, Page 110, Google Books snippet view
  • Machinery, Vol. 59, 1953, Pg. 140, Google Books snippet view