This maker of motors and bench grinders was established in 1921. It was founded by George H. Leland, who had been working for Dayton Engineering Laboratories Co. 1920-21. He was granted at least a couple of dozen motor patents over the years. After a couple of ownership changes, in 1978 it was acquired by Jerry Fahringer, who renamed it to Leland Electrosystems, perhaps following the 1989 acquisition of General Electric's aircraft power systems line.
In 1997 Leland Electrosystems was acquired by Smiths Group and renamed to Smiths Aerospace, which was subsequently acquired and absorbed by General Electric.
Leland Electric had a Canadian Subsidiary, Leland Electric Canada Ltd., which was active until at least 1957.
Although remembered primarily as a maker of electric motors, they also made bench and pedestal grinders.
- An owwm.org forum discussion alerted us to this maker.
- Numerous patents were assigned to this maker; these patents woulld likely reward further study.