Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Manufacturers Index - Wisconsin Electric Co./Dumore Co.

Wisconsin Electric Co./Dumore Co.
Racine, WI, U.S.A.
Company Website: http://www.dumorecorp.com/
Manufacturer Class: Wood Working Machinery & Metal Working Machinery

History
Last Modified: Sep 11 2019 7:11PM by joelr4
If you have information to add to this entry, please contact the Site Historian.

      Wisconsin Electric Co. is the manufacturer of the widely advertised "Dumore" line of fractional hp. motors. Regular stock sizes range from 1/25 to 1/8 hp. The company maintains a large research and experimental department for co-operating with responsible manufacturers in solving special power problems.

      This maker of small direct-drive drill presses, grinders, sanders, and routers (including table-mounted models) was established in 1913 as Wisconsin Electric Co. In 1929 the name was changed to Dumore Co., after their brand name that was used on virtually all of their products. The name became Dumore Corp. in about 1957 but their advertising continued to use "Dumore Co." for many years. The company is still active although no longer makes home-shop machinery, focusing instead on industrial motors of less than 1/2 HP.

Information Sources

  • EMF electrical year book, Volume 1, 1921 page 484
  • A 1929 lawsuit, Wisconsin Electric v. Dumore Co., 35 F.(2) 555 (CCA. 6, 1929), involved an unrelated business that took the name "Dumore Co." and was sued by Wisconsin Electric for causing confusion in the marketplace.
  • A 1938 issue of Dental News provided the timing of the name change from Wisconsin Electric Co. to Dumore Co.
  • Various ads in 1947 and 1948 issues of Popular Science.
  • A 1949 Popular Science publication lists a current address of 1225 14th St., Racine, Wisconsin.
  • To determine the timing of the name change from "Dumore Co." to "Dumore Corp.", we undertook a survey of ads and articles. We found conflicting information. The earliest mention of "Dumore Corp." was in the 1957 edition of Poor's Register of Directors and Executives, United States and Canada. But the use of the "Dumore Co." name continued in the company's ads into the 1970s.