Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Manufacturers Index - Illinois Iron & Bolt Co.

Illinois Iron & Bolt Co.
Carpentersville, IL, U.S.A.
Manufacturer Class: Wood Working Machinery

History
Last Modified: Mar 29 2012 9:46AM by joelr4
If you have information to add to this entry, please contact the Site Historian.

We have a report of a horizontal bench drill labeled "II&B Co", which is believed to be from this maker.

They also made the Olmstead patent tire upsetter after 1881.

A web search reveals several sites that have historical information on this company and its community, of which II&B was the largest employer. The information here is abstracted from those sites.

According to one source, "In 1853 a man named George Marshall opened a shop that manufactured and repaired reapers. By 1864 he acquired two (2) partners and a stock company was formed and incorporated. This later became the Illinois Iron & Bolt Company."

II&B was taken over by Julius Angelo Carpenter in 1868. Carpenter diversified their product line from reapers and mowers to "thimble skeins for wagons, sad irons, copying presses, seat springs, blacksmith tools, pumps and other articles with a national market". Carpenter died in 1880, but the company lived on. George P. Lord succeeded Carpenter (perhaps not directly). He also married Carpenter's widow. Lord earned notoriety for slashing wages and then fighting all efforts to organize a union and negotiate for fair wages.

According to an article in Suburban Chicago News, "By the late 1800s, when all of Carpentersville and the two Dundees had only 5,000 people, Illinois Iron & Bolt employed 2,000. It made farm machinery, flat irons, thimble skeins, presses and buggy-seat springs.

"The dawning age of cars and tractors made many of its horse-age products obsolete. II&B's business declined, and by the 1970s it had gone out of business."

Information Sources

  • Carriage and Wagon Makers Machinery and Tools by Kenneth L. Cope, 2004 page 116