The Mall Tool Co. was founded in 1921 by Arthur W. Mall, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. A year later he relocated the business to Chicago. The company became very successful, employing over 2,000 people making power drills, circular saws, chainsaws, and other handheld products. Those handheld power tools do not qualify Mall for this Old Woodworking Machines site, but they also made a "MallSaw Radial Saw Arm", which converted a handheld circular saw to a small radial arm saw. They also made (or, possibly, rebadged) a bench grinder. The bench grinders are very uncommon.
In 1956, Mall Tool Co. was acquired by Remington Arms Corp. and renamed the Remington Power Tool Division. In 1969, some entrepreneurs purchased this Division and named the it DESA Industries. They were acquired by AMCA (Master Consolidated) in 1975. Parts and service for Mall Tool products are no longer available.
Handheld power tools are outside the scope of this web site. Please do not upload pictures of handhelds!
- Address (1950 Popular Mechanics): 7805 South Chicago Ave, Chicago 19, Illinois.
- The following history is taken from a no-longer-available history page at the DESA Industries web site.
"Mall Tool Co. was founded in the 1920s and specialized in gasoline and electrically powered hand tools. They were acquired by Remington Arms Corp. in 1956, and renamed the Remington Power Tool Division. 1969, some entrepreneurs purchased the Power Tool Division and named the company DESA Industries. They were acquired by AMCA (Master Consolidated) in 1975."
- For another history of the Mall Tool Co., see this biography of Arthur Mall on a now-defunct genealogy site for the Mall family.