Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Manufacturers Index - Pratt & Weir Chuck Co.
History
Last Modified: Sep 15 2016 1:03PM by Jeff_Joslin
If you have information to add to this entry, please contact the Site Historian.

This chuck manufacture was established in or before 1894 as the Pratt & Long Chuck Co. by James C. Pratt and George S. Long. In 1890 Long had applied for a patent for a keyless drill chuck. In early 1895 the company was renamed to the Pratt & Weir Chuck Co., with David Weir as treasurer and Long continuing on as machinist. In early 1896, George S. Long's chuck patent was granted. A few advertisements were seen within the next year or so and then the company ceased doing business. The company was formally dissolved by the state in 1905 for failure to file annual reports.

From 1897 Geer's Hartford City Directory

Information Sources

  • Various 1895-96 issues of Cassier's and Machinery apparently carried ads for Pratt & Weir Chuck Co., but the ads were on the journal covers which did not survive in the bound volumes available through Google Books.
  • 1896 Geer's Hartford City Directory (published July 1896) lists Pratt & Weir at 12 Pratt St. James C. Pratt was president and David Weir was treasurer. George S. Long was listed as a machinist working at 12 Pratt. Also working at that address were Andrew Burns, Robert A. Case (clerk), Oliver Caton, Charles H. Cook (machinist), the Empire Steam Laundry Co., Charles Freeman (toolmaker), Charles Howlett (helper), Charles F. Parker (toolmaker), Agnes and Mary Prendergast, Clarence R. Root (foreman), Charles and Hugo Schulstadt, Mason S. Stanwood, and Merrick A. Stoner (manager), . We have elided a few individuals who were explicitly mentioned as employed by Empire Steam Laundry Co.
  • The January 1897 Special Acts and Resolutions of the General Assembly of the State of Connecticut lists name changes for joint stock companies, including "Pratt & Weir Chuck Company, from Pratt & Long Chuck Company, January 17, 1895."
  • 1897-06-10 American Machinist.
    The Pratt & Weir Chuck Company, of Hartford, Conn., contemplate the erection of a new shop.
  • 1897 Geer's Hartford City Directory (published July 1897) lists Pratt & Weir at 12 Pratt St. Also at that address was Empire Steam Laundry and hat-maker Joseph B. Angell. The directory lists recent fires, including one on 1896-04-24 at 12 Pratt; owner or occupant was "Ripley Bros." George S. Long is listed as a machinist working at 223 State, which corresponds to H. K. Lee's Hartford Engine Works James C. Pratt is listed but does not have a place of employment. David Weir is listed as vice president of Pratt & Weir Chuck Co.
  • 1899 Geer's Hartford City Directory (published July 1899) does not list Pratt & Weir. David Weir is listed as a machinist working at 1 Flower, which corresponds to Pratt & Whitney Co. James C. Pratt is listed but did not have a place of employment. George S. Long was still working for H. K. Lee at the Hartford Engine Works. The only people who are listed as employed at 12 State are William Griswold and Mary Prendergast, and no business is listed as located at that address.
  • The January 1906 Journal of the Senate of the State of Connecticut contains a bill, enacted 1905-07-06, dissolving a long list of corporations for failure to provide an annual report, including Pratt & Weir Chuck Company.