This firm was established in 1909 by Samuel Duncan Black and Alonzo Galloway Decker of Baltimore, MD. They were early innovators in handheld power tools, but that is outside the scope of this web site. Over the years, they made various products that are eligible for this site, including radial arm saws, bench and pedestal grinders, drill presses, tablesaws, and fractional horsepower electric motors.
On January 28, 1985, The Black & Decker Manufacturing Co. formally changed its name to The Black & Decker Corp.
Handheld power tools are outside the scope of this web site. Please do not upload pictures of handhelds!
- The Wikipedia page on Black & Decker provides a good historical overview of the company.
- From Catalogue of Copyright Entries, 1931:
- Black & Decker mfg co., Towson, Md. Black & Decker fractional horsepower electric motors © Nov. 20, 1930 ; 2 c. Jan. 2, 1931 ; aff. Jan 3 ; AA 57893.
- Black & Decker mfg. co., Towson, Md. Story of Cinderella. © Feb. 9, 1931 ; 2 c. Mar. 11 ; aff. Mar. 10 ; AA 64303.
- Black & Decker mfg. co., Towson, Md. Black & Decker electric fender straightener. © June 3, 1931 ; 2 c. and aff. Jun 9 ; AA 71316.
- Black & Decker mfg. co., Towson, Md. New and better ways to wash clothes. © June 13, 1931 ; 2 c. June 23 ; aff. July 1 ; AA 72654.
- Information on the 1985 name change comes from a USPTO name change registration.